For more information regrading the Girl Scout Ministry please contact Michelle Haller at (386) 586-8012
Join our Volunteers
Requirements include filling out our volunteer forms and taking a few training programs both through our Church diocese and through Gateway Girl Scout Council. Our volunteers must be 19 years or older and a parishioner of Santa Maria del Mar.
We currently have several Girl Scout Troops & a Zip Group for 2011-2012 membership year and offer 4 Religious Medals classes for our Youth. Please contact us if you are interested in joining our Ministry.
2011-2012 SMdM Girl Scout Ministry Troops:
Troop 1134 – Daisy/Brownie (1st/2nd/3rd); Heather Harris, Joanne Fairchild & Jenny Hack
Troop 864 – Brownie/Junior (4th/5th); Chris Brink, Carrie Tygrest & Claire Ledrich
Troop 1119 – Cadettes(6th/7th/8th grades); Leaders Michelle Haller & Ari Clark
Zip Girls – Seniors/Ambassadors (9th -12th grades); Mentors Linda Wells, Michele Coe
SMdM Girl Scout Ministry Religious Medals Program
This program is delivered by St. Augustine Diocese Certified Counselors:
God & Family- (2nd-3rd grades)
I Live my Faith- (4th-6th grades)
Marian Medal – (7th-9th grades)
The Spirit Alive – (10th-12th grades)
We are always in need of Leaders, if you are interested in helping please contact SMdM Coach Michelle Haller.
- Weekly or bi-monthly Girl Scout meetings(varies by Troop) from August/September through May
- Girls learn by doing Girl Scout activities and earning petals, try-it’s, badges and interest projects along the way!
- Earn Santa Maria Angel Wings by helping distribute KidsWord bulletins to youth after Sunday Masses or By being an Altar Server September-May
- Make Cards for our Adopted Overseas Soldiers for holidays/seasons from September-May
- Girl Scout Investiture in November where all new girls pledge their Promise and receive their Girl Scout pins. Father Al joins us to award the girls who have earned their Santa Maria del Mar Angel Wings & bless our Ministry!
- Caroling for Cans Service Project for St. Vincent de Paul in December
- Cookies-4-Soldiers program launches in January
- Girls adopt a dozen or more overseas military and seek donations to buy Girl Scout cookies to ship to them with their handmade cards and letters.
- Click here for an update on the Cookies-4-Soldiers program!
- Cookies-4-Soldiers Packing Event in March
- Girls attend Girl Scout Thinking Day in February
- Girls choose a country to learn about, prepare a booth to share their knowledge with other girls as they travel “around the world” from booth to booth
- A church event in February is hosted by Father Al & the Santa Maria MOMS Ministry, Father-Daughter event, girls/women from the parish are invited to escort their Dad’s to the event.
- Special Masses:
- Sunday March 11th, 2012 is Girl Scout Sunday; girls encouraged to attend 9AM Mass in Uniform
- Bishops Awards Ceremony for Catholic Religious Emblems Earned at St. Augustine Cathedral to be announced for 2012
- Bridging events in May/June where girls “bridge” from one level to the next
- End-of year Troop events in June (varies by Troop)
- Summer Opportunities to serve:
- by helping paint VBS Characters in May
- Teens can apply to volunteer for VBS Teen Crew (VBS dates TBA)
- Cadettes/Seniors can volunteer for Wickline Senior Center in July
In addition to our cluster activities; our Flagler County service unit, Golden Sands, runs several local events throughout the year that our girls and Leaders are welcomed to participate in. Leaders are encouraged to attend a monthly Golden Sands Leaders meeting on the first Tuesday of each month September through May.
And last but not least, Gateway Girl Scout Council publishes a book of council troop and individual activities that the girls can attend. Those activities are held in various places throughout their 16 county membership. Many events are held at the Girl Scout properties including Palatka Little House, two Beach houses in Jacksonville or at the three campgrounds: Kateri, Seminole Springs or North Fork. Many opportunities are there for our girls, offering a wide range of ways to deliver the Girl Scout program for our girls.
Check out the web pages put together by Senior Troop #324 while earning their Silver Award for their project titled “Using our local resources wisely”.
Local Sights to Explore: click here.
Local Service Opportunities: click here.
Links to Required Forms & Training:
- Church Youth Ministry Requirements
- Diocese Protecting God’s Children Training
- Go to Santa Maria del Mar Office to fill out Fingerprinting forms
- Girl Scout Forms
- Girl Scout Training Requirements
- Girl Scouts USA Basic Orientation (password: discover) (Online Training – password = “discover”)
- Leadership Essentials required
- Troop Pathways recommended in fall
- Additional Trainings are suggested as your interest inspires: Gateway Council Adult Training & Registration
- Other Forms: